Saturday, September 19, 2009

Recipe: Homemade No Yeast Donuts

I made some bean burgers for dinner, and decided to use up the leftover pan oil to make some donuts. From my favorite Amish cookbook:

3 - 3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter or oil
1/2 cup cream(I used whole milk)

I ended up adding more flour because I used some leftover beet juice to color them pink. This is so easy, just mix everything together and shape into circles. I roll mine into a ball, flatten and poke a floured finger through the middle. I made a few letters for my preschool daughter as well. Make sure your pan oil comes up to at least the half way mark on your donuts. I heat my oil to medium, but every stove is different. You don't want it to get too hot, or it burns the outside, too cool and the middle doesn't get done. Don't make them too thick or they don't cook evenly.

Watch them carefully as they fry in the oil, flipping them with some tongs when they look brown. Place cooked donuts on plate with paper towel, and sift some powdered sugar over the top.

These donuts taste a bit like funnel cakes.

5 comments:

Myrnie said...

These look delicious!!

Alexandra said...

Thanks. The kiddos are really liking these.

Elizabeth said...

I've never made donuts before. I think I will try these. They look pretty simple to make and sound yummy.

Thanks!

Veronica said...

I just tried making these and set the smoke detector off three times.. What did I do wrong?

Alexandra said...

I don't know. Maybe down down the heat a bit, use your overhead fan on high, and make sure to keep the oil clean of burnt bits.